The winery is located in the commune of Saint-Julien
in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. It was created in 1840 from a tripartite division of Château Léoville, the other two being Château Léoville-Las-Cases
and Château Léoville-Barton
. By marriage with Jeanne de Las-Cases the part with the Château came into the possession of the Baron Poyferré and received the today's name. At the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855, the estate was awarded second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). After several changes of ownership it was bought by the Cuvelier family in 1920. From 1979 Didier Cuvelier took over the management. From the mid-1990s onwards, support was provided by the oenologist Michel Rolland
. The vineyards cover 80 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (25%), Petit Verdot (8%) and Cabernet Franc (2%). The extremely long-lasting red wine matures for 18 to 20 months in 75% new barriques. The second wine until the 2001 vintage was called "Pavillon des Connetables", from 2002 "Château Moulin-Riche".