The winery is located in the commune of Saint-Julien in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. The name "Grand Vin de Léoville du Marquis de Las Cases" appears on the label, a château is not mentioned. The last part of the name is derived from Marquis de Las Cases Beauvoir, the owner of a Château Léoville. It remained in the possession of this family until 1840, when it was divided into three parts. Besides the property in question, Château Léoville-Barton and Château Léoville-Poyferré were created. Subsequently, the estate came into the possession of the Delon family (descendants of the Léoville family), who also owned Château Potensac. The progenitor was Théophile Skawinski, who managed the estate until 1930. Between 1976 and 1996, Michel Delon gave the estate its present character and handed over the management to his son Jean-Hubert. In the 1855 Bordeaux classification, the estate was awarded second place (Deuxième Cru Classé).