The winery is located in the commune of Saint-Julien in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. It was created from a three-part division of the former Château Léoville. One of them was acquired in 1826 by the Irish-born Hugh Barton (1766-1854). The current structure was given to the winery by Ronald Barton (1902-1986), who had handed over the management to his nephew Anthony Barton in the 1980s. The other two parts are now called Château Léoville-Las-Cases and Château Léoville-Poyferré. The family also owns the neighbouring Château Langoa-Barton, acquired in 1821, where the wines of both châteaux are produced. At the Bordeaux classification in 1855 Château Léoville-Barton was awarded second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 47 hectares of vineyards planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (72%), Merlot (20%) and Cabernet Franc (8%). The extremely long-lasting red wine matures for 20 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "La Réserve de Léoville-Barton".