A part of the 19th Viennese municipal district of Döbling, considered the epitome of the Viennese Heuriger par excellence (although there are several other first-class Heurigen areas in the Austrian capital, such as Sievering, Heiligenstadt, Stammersdorf, Neustift am Walde and Nussdorf). The existence of the village dates back to the 12th century. The monastery Klosterneuburg first acquired "de Grincing" vineyards in 1114, a place called "Grinzingen" is mentioned in 1156. In the Middle Ages, the village was mainly inhabited by winegrowers, farmers and day labourers.
From the reign of Emperor Joseph II (1741-1790) - the son of Maria Theresa - "wine trips" around Wien were common and from the middle of the 19th century Grinzing became a popular Heurigen venue for the Viennese. Many artists such as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791), Franz Schubert (1797-1828) and Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) enjoyed stopping in Grinzing. The latter lived for a few months in 1817 at the present address Pfarrplatz 2. The Heurigenlokal of the Mayer winery on Pfarrplatz with vineyard property in Grinzing is located in this listed building and named after him as the "Beethovenhaus".