The winery in the town of Klosterneuburg is one of the oldest and most traditional wineries in Austria. The origin of the monastery Klosterneuburg goes back to the Babenberg Margrave Leopold III. (1073-1136), who moved his residence to Klosterneuburg in 1113 and founded the monastery in 1114. In 1133, the ruler called the Augustinian canons to Klosterneuburg, who then developed the monastery over the centuries into a centre for religion, science, culture and also viticulture. Wine was already exported to many countries in the Middle Ages, was widely famous and the monastery was given the name "Zum rinnenden Zapfen" by the people. In 1330, a great fire broke out and destroyed half the town. The extinguishing water slowly ran out and the monks began to drag buckets of mass wine to the altar. The fire was finally extinguished with this precious water. When the Turks approached in 1683, 6,000 buckets of wine (about 360,000 litres) were brought from the Abbey cellar to safety in Bavaria. From 24 August, 13,000 Turks under Kara Mustapha (~1630-1683) laid siege to the city. Canon Wilhelm Lebsaft began to serve wine to the defenders. This motivated and strengthened them and they succeeded in repelling the attack.