The winery is located in the town of Saint-Émilion
in the area of the same name (Bordeaux). It was bought in 1930 by Jean Moueix
(1882-1957), which marked the beginning of the steep rise of this family empire. By inheritance it went in 1957 to son Jean-Antoine Moueix (1908-1979) and after his death to grandson Jean-Jacques Moueix (*1935). Since 2001, it has been managed in the fourth generation by the great-grandson Alain Moueix. It is classified as "Grand Cru Classé", which was last confirmed in 2012. The vineyards cover 20 hectares with Merlot (70%) and Cabernet Franc (30%). Biodynamic viticulture
has been practised since 2001. The long-lasting red wine matures for 18 months in 40% new barriques. The second wine is called "Château Cartier".