Municipal appellation 16 kilometres south of Dijon in the Côte d'Or area. It has only about 200 inhabitants, but is one of the most famous wine-growing communities in Burgundy. The name is derived from the Vouge stream that flows through the village. Here, Cistercian monks laid out the famous vineyard Clos de Vougeot in the 14th century and enclosed it with a high, kilometre-long wall in 1330. It is the only Grand Cru site and covers 50 hectares of vineyards. The four Premiers Crus comprise 14 hectares of vines, the first of which is for white wine. These are Les Clos Blancs (monopoly of the Domaine de la Vougeraie), Clos de la Perrière, Les Crâs and Les Petits de Vougeots. Only just under five hectares of wine are marketed under the Vougeot Village Appellation.