Village-Appellation in the Burgundy area Côte de Nuits, which is named after the municipality of the same name. It borders the commune of Morey-Saint-Denis to the south. The total area under vine covers around 500 hectares, including some vineyards in the neighbouring municipality of Brochon. In 1847, Gevrey added the name Chambertin to the place name, which is the name of the most famous and best vineyard on the Côte d'Or. A Chambertin red wine was also one of the favourite wines of Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821). This is why it is also called "King of wines, wine of kings". A large part of the vineyards already belonged to the Benedictines of Cluny Abbey, located southeast of Mâcon, in the 13th century. Here the best red wines of Burgundy are made from mainly Pinot Noir with, if necessary, shares of Pinot Gris and Pinot Liébault. These wines can be stored for many decades and are usually even darker than many other Burgundy communities. The most outstanding wines come from the nine Grand Cru sites. Chambertin is so well known and famous as a site that all eight other Grand-Crus have (legally) added this name to theirs.