Historical landscape and former county in the department of Saône-et-Loire in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region, whose name is derived from the town of Mâcon. It is part of the Burgundy wine region. The Roman poet Ausonius (310-395) already mentioned the wines from this region. In the 11th and 12th centuries, the monks of the Cistercian order planted vines here on a large scale. The area became famous in 1660, when the winegrower Claude Brosse delivered wine to the royal castle in Versailles, where it attracted the attention of the French "Sun King" Louis XIV (1638-1715) during a mass due to its unusual size. The king approached him, tasted his wine after the mass and was so delighted that the royal court was regularly supplied with it. A small but essential part of the landscape is called Haut-Mâconnais. This part roughly corresponds to the borders of the former canton of Lugny with the capital Lugny.