Grand Cru location or appellation in the municipality of Morey-Saint-Denis in the Burgundy region of Côte d'Or. In the north, the area borders on the premier cru Aux Combottes of Gevrey-Chambertin, in the south on the Clos Saint-Denis, which was classified as a Grand Cru in 1936 and in 1971 was joined by the small Genavrière vineyard. The vineyard, which faces east at an altitude of 300 metres above sea level, covers almost 17 hectares of vineyards on brown, calcareous soil, which is only 30 cm thick in places. Among them are large pieces of rock (roches), which gave the site its name. In addition to the historic Clos de la Roche (4.6 ha), the site also includes the Climats (plots) of Monts-Luisants-Bas (3.7 ha), Les Mochamps (2.6 ha), Les Chabiots, Les Fremières and Les Froichots. It is made up of 110 plots, shared by around 30 owners.
This extremely storable red wine is made almost exclusively from Pinot Noir and is considered the most long-lasting of the five Grands Crus of the community. However, Pinot Beurot(Pinot Gris) and Pinot Liébault are also permitted, theoretically up to 15% Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc could also be used. Well known producers are Amiot, Dujac, Domaine Leroy, Hospices de Beaune, Lignier, Domaine Ponsot and Rousseau.