The winery is located in the municipality of Léognan in the Pessac-Léognan
area of Graves
(Bordeaux). It was founded in the 18th century by the Lagravière family of shipowners. In 1803 Pierre Malartic bought it and added his name to it. A famous member of the family was the French admiral Comte Anne-Joseph-Hippolyte Maurès de Malartic (1730-1800), whom the three-master on the bottle label reminds us of. After changing ownership several times, the estate came into the possession of the champagne company Laurent-Perrier
, who sold it to the Belgian Alfred-Alexandre Bonnie in 1997. Both white wine and red wine are classified as "Cru Classé" (Graves). The vineyards cover a total of 47 hectares, of which 41 hectares are planted with the red wine varieties Merlot (45%), Cabernet Sauvignon (45%) and Cabernet Franc (10%), and six hectares with the white wine varieties Sauvignon Blanc (80%) and Sémillon (20%). The extremely long-lasting red wine is aged for up to 22 months in barriques that are one third new. The long-lasting white wine matures up to eight months in 100% new barriques. The second wines (in white and red) are called "Sillage de Malartic". One rosé is called "Le Rosé de Malartic".