The winery is located in the commune of Saint-Julien
in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). Its origins go back to Jean-Baptiste Braneyre, who bought land here at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1818, his two great-grandchildren Louis and Justin Duluc inherited the property. They built the magnificent Châteaux in 1824 and named it Château Braneyre after its founder (it later became Branaire). Finally, in 1875 the estate was acquired by Gustave Ducru, who named it Château Branaire-Ducru. After some changes of ownership, it has been owned by Patrick Maroteaux since 1988. In the 1855 Bordeaux Classification
it was awarded fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 50 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (70%), Merlot (22%), Cabernet Franc (5%) and Petit Verdot (3%). The red wine, which can be stored for decades, is aged for 18 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Château Duluc".