The winery is located in the municipality of Cantenac in the Margaux
region of the Médoc
(Bordeaux). It was founded in 1754 by the Irish-born Jacques Boyd. Later it was divided into two wineries. The English wine merchant and painter James-Lewis Brown married into the family and bought the entire property in 1806. He called the larger part Château Cantenac Brown
. Brown went bankrupt in 1840, in this context the property went to a banker under the name "Boyd". In 1860 the first smaller one was bought by the wine merchant Armand Lalande and operated under the name Château Boyd-Cantenac. After several changes of ownership, it has been owned by the Guillemet family since 1932, who also own Château Pouget
. In the 1855 Bordeaux classification
, the estate was awarded third place (Troisième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 16 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (67%), Merlot (20%), Cabernet Franc (7%) and Petit Verdot (6%). This extremely long-lasting red wine, which can be stored for decades, matures for 12 to 24 months in 75% new barriques. The second wine is called "Jacques Boyd" in homage to its founder.