The winery is located in the municipality of Cantenac in the Margaux
region of the Médoc
(Bordeaux). It originated in Château Boyd-Cantenac
, parts of which were acquired by the wine merchant John-Lewis Brown in 1806 (see the history of its origin there). After his bankruptcy, it was bought in 1860 by the wine merchant Armand Lalande, who also owned Château Léoville-Poyferré
. He replanted the vineyards and modernised the cellars. In 1989, after several changes of ownership, the estate passed into the hands of the AXA
insurance group, which finally sold it to the Halabi family in 2005. It was awarded third place (Troisième Cru Classé) in the 1855 Bordeaux classification
. The vineyards cover 42 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (25%) and Cabernet Franc (10%). The extremely long-lasting red wine matures for 16 to 18 months in one third new barriques. The second wine is called "Brio du Château Cantenac Brown" (formerly "Château Canuet").