The community appellation is located at the northern end of the Côte de Beaune (Côte d'Or) in the French region of Burgundy. Vineyards are first mentioned here in 696. Like many Burgundian communes, Aloxe added the most famous vineyard name to its name in 1862 and this is the famous historic vineyard Corton. It is wooded on its top, but is planted with vines on its western, eastern and southern flank. Emperor Charlemagne (742-814) donated the upper part of the mountain to Saint-Andoche Abbey in Saulieu in 775 as compensation for destruction by the Saracens. It remained in their possession until 1660. The Corton vineyard covers some 280 hectares of vines and extends over three villages: Aloxe-Corton, Pernand-Vergelesses and Ladoix-Serrigny. It is divided into two (three) Grand Cru sites and 14 Premier Cru sites. The white wines are made from Chardonnay, the red wines from Pinot Noir, with possibly shares of Pinot Liébault and Pinot Beurot(Pinot Gris).