The Lower Austrian wine-growing community is located in the wine-growing region Thermenregion near Wien. Until 1985, Gumpoldskirchen was an independent wine-growing area alongside Bad Vöslau. Even the Romans recognised the optimal conditions for winegrowing that prevailed here. The village was mentioned in a document as early as 1120, when Gumpold von Pornheim, who gave the village its name, donated vineyards to his nephew Sigeboto. In 1380, Duke Albrecht III. (1349-1395) granted the citizens of Gumpoldskirchen the right to sell and serve their wine in the village. Later, the exact regulations for serving wine were laid down. In 1784 Emperor Josef II. (1741-1790) confirmed the right of the "Buschenschenker" and thus laid the foundation for the " Heurigen", of which there are numerous in this municipality today.