The famous winery with its headquarters in Barbaresco in the Italian region of Piedmont was founded by Angelo Gaja in 1859. The company was one of the first bottlers in the region; the grandfather of the current owner was already supplying bottled wine to the Italian army in Abyssinia at the end of the 19th century. His son Giovanni Gaja (1908-2002) expanded the estate in the 1950s and 1960s and switched from mixed to monoculture. Angelo Gaja (*1940) continued these efforts in the third generation. He earned a diploma in viticulture in Alba and then studied economics at the University of Turin. In 1969 he took over the family business and, working closely with his oenologist Guido Rivella, introduced rigorous quality-enhancing yield limitation, controlled fermentation and early malolactic fermentation. The newly introduced Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay varieties were used to produce wines aged in barriques. With the Barbaresco from the single vineyards Costa Russi, Sori Tildin and Sori San Lorenzo, Gaja caused an international sensation. In 1996, however, he gave up these single-vineyard designations and now produces the wine under the DOC designation Langhe. Another pioneering achievement is a Beaujolais-style red wine produced under the brand name Vinòt. The estate has been steadily increased through the purchase of other wineries.