The winery is located in the municipality of Cantenac in the Margaux
region of the Médoc
(Bordeaux). Originally it was part of a large estate called Gorce. In 1833 it was bought by Baron Joseph Hector de Brane. The funds for this came from the sale of his Château Brane-Mouton three years earlier to the Parisian banker Isaac Thuriet, who then sold it in 1853 to Baron Nathaniel de Rothschild
(1812-1870), who named his new property Château Mouton-Rothschild
. Baron Brane named his new estate Château Brane-Cantenac from 1843 onwards. In 1925 it became the property of Lucien Lurton
and has been managed by his grandson Henri since 1994. In the 1855 Bordeaux Classification
it was awarded second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 85 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (30%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The red wine, which can be stored for decades, matures for 12 to 18 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Baron de Brane".