The Champagne House, based in Châlons-en-Champagne, was founded at the end of the 18th century by Alexandre Perrier under the name "Perrier et Fils". His son Joseph then renamed it "Joseph Perrier" in 1825. Today, the company is run by Jean Claude Fourmon, a direct descendant of the founder. From 1995, Laurent-Perrier took a short-term stake in the company. In 1998, Fourmon sold 51% of the shares to his cousin Alain Thiénot, but the company is still managed by him. The Cuvée de Prestige is "Joséphine" with a major share of Chardonnay. Another brand is "Cuvée Royale", blended from Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay. The rosé version of the champagne was already sold to Queen Victoria (1819-1901) and her son King Edward VII. (1849-1910). A version Blanc de blancs was created in 1986 in honour of the 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty in New York. The company's own vineyards cover 20 hectares in the Cumières, Damery, Hautvillers and Verneuil areas, the rest being purchased from contract winegrowers.