Large historical winery or winegrowers' cooperative in the municipality of Loiben in the Lower Austrian wine-growing region of Wachau on the left bank of the Danube. In the more than 1000 years of its development it has made a significant contribution to Austrian wine history and wine culture. The beginning goes back to the year 860, when King Ludwig the German (804-876) donated the estate "Liupna" (today's Oberloiben) to the Salzburg church. The estate subsequently became the centre of colonisation and reclamation in this area. In 1002, King Heinrich II (973-1024) donated "two hooves in the east in the village of Liupna" to the Tegernsee monastery, which led to the planting of new vineyards in neighbouring Unterloiben and the construction of a large farm (later Dinstlgut and vicarage), cellars and a press house. By the 18th century, the estate had been expanded to include the Supperin, Oberhauser and Schütt vineyards. The estates in Ober- and Unterloiben remained the property of the church until 1802, when for a short time it was an imperial and royal state vineyard managed from the Nikolaihof in Mautern and then in the possession of the counts.
In 1832, Dr. Ferdinand Dinstl (Krems member of the Frankfurt parliament in 1849 and mayor of Krems) inherited it and united the essential parts of the former church property of Salzburg and Tegernsee. He became the promoter of Loibner viticulture, introduced a quality-oriented cellar management and managed the estate according to cooperative principles. For the grape delivering tiller there was a strict harvesting order regarding the order of delivery from the individual vineyards. The tanners had to provide the dishes themselves and label them with their name. Mash from two different vineyards was not allowed to be poured into one vat, even if the tiller was working on both. Cutting out grapes for personal use was only allowed with permission. The harvest often lasted into November. The price of the grapes or mash depended on the quality and on the vineyards divided into classes.
In 1882 Dinstl cultivated about 25 hectares of vineyards himself, the rest was leased. Around the turn of the century, as almost everywhere in Austria, downy mildew appeared, which caused more damage here than phylloxera did later. Between 1920 and 1930 the conversion to phylloxera-resistant rootstocks took place. During the renewal of the vineyards, only quality grape varieties such as Grüner Veltliner, Riesling, Neuburger and Muskat-Ottonel were planted. After the death of Ferdinand Dinstl in 1913, his sister Hedwig took over the estate and cultivated almost all the vineyards herself without any leases. With her death in 1930, the Dinstl era came to an end and there were no heirs.
In the same year, the estate with 26 hectares of arable land and 23 hectares of vineyards was auctioned off for 380,000 shillings (almost 28,000 euros) by a newly founded cooperative of 42 innovative winegrowers. After an eventful history with a steady upward trend, the Second World War caused major setbacks that made reconstruction necessary. Today, the catchment area of the "Winzergenossenschaft Dinstlgut Loiben" includes communities mainly from the Wachau and Kremstal wine-growing regions. About 350 members cultivated a total of 232 hectares of vineyards, for example in the vineyards Pfaffenberg (Krems), Dinstlgarten, Loibenberg and Schütt (all in Loiben). The members were recommended to plant the varieties Grüner Veltliner and Riesling. In Loiben the central pressing, vinification, bottling and marketing took place. The traditional winery got more and more into difficulties and was closed at the end of 2006.