The history of the "Nikolaihof Wachau" winery in Mautern in the Wachau wine growing region goes back two thousand years, it is one of the oldest wineries in Austria. Some of the buildings stand on Roman foundations. In the courtyard association there are remains of the early Christian Agapitus Basilica, where a synod took place under Bishop Pilgrim of Passau in 985 AD. A camp for Charlemagne (742-814) was once established in the Burggarten estate. The former Freihof was first documented in 1075 as the central seat of the estate administration of the Passau monastery of St. Nikola. The present chapel was built by the Augustinian canons. Under the restored Gothic vault of the rededicated chapel, receptions and wine tastings are held today. Since 1894, Nikolaihof has been owned by the Saahs family. Attached to it is a wine restaurant and the "ad vineas Nikolaihof Gästehaus". The farm is run by Nikolaus and Christine Saahs.