Famous location in the Lavaux area on the north-eastern shore of Lake Geneva (Lac Léman) in the Swiss canton of Vaud. It is classified as a Grand Cru here, next to Calamin, and incidentally is shown on the back of the 200 franc note. In 1141, the Bishop of Lausanne, Guy de Malagny, donated lands near Dézaley, Epesses, Marsens and Montheron to the Cistercian monks of Hautcrèt Palézieux Abbey. The monks were charged with clearing the vast, wild areas and planting vines. Some of the vineyards had to be hewn out of the rock. After 20 years of arduous work, this was completed. The steep terraces, some of which are only 1.5 metres wide and up to 20 storeys high, are supported by walls. In 1799 Napoleon (1769-1821) visited the area of Dézaley, after him the "Napoleon's stone" is named.