The winery is located in the commune of Listrac-Médoc or the area of the same name in the Médoc (Bordeaux). In the Bordeaux classification according to the old system, which is no longer valid, it was last classified as "Cru Bourgeois" in 2003. The first vineyards called "Granges" were already planted by the Cistercians in the 12th century. In 1750 it came into the possession of the Irish Clarke family and thus received its present name. After several changes of ownership, the castle was demolished in 1950 and the vineyards abandoned. In 1973 the property was bought by Baron Edmond Adolphe de Rothschild (1926-1997) together with the neighbouring Château Malmaison and rebuilt from nothing. An ultra-modern winery was built, the vineyards were replanted and, as a result, the estate became the great rising star in the Médoc from the early 1980s. After the death of his father, it was taken over by Baron Benjamin de Rothschild (*1963) in 1997.
The vineyards cover 53 hectares. They are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (48%), Merlot (42%), Cabernet Franc (8%) and Petit Verdot (2%). The long-lasting red wine, which can be stored for many years, is fermented in stainless steel tanks and then aged for 12 to 18 months in 60% to 100% new barriques. Between 150,000 and 250,000 bottles are produced annually. The second wine "Les Granges des Domaines Edmond de Rothschild" comes from a total of 132 hectares of vineyards within the districts of Moulis and Listrac. It is blended from 50% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Cabernet Franc and is aged for 12 months, half in large wooden barrels and half in barriques. Of this, 250,000 to 350,000 bottles are produced annually. A rosé wine is marketed under the name "Le Rosé de Clarke" (Merlot, Cabernet Franc).