The "Bund Deutscher Oenologen e.V." was founded in 1955 under the then name "Bund der Techniker des Weinbaues" (BTW). The BTW was instrumental in the development of Geisenheim into a school of engineering. After the departure of the first Geisenheim engineers in 1964, the name was changed to Bund der Ingenieure des Weinbaues (BIW). With the further development into a university of applied sciences, the name was changed to "Bund der Diplom-Ingenieure des Weinbaues, der Oenologie und der Getränketechnologie". Finally, in 1989, the BDO was given its present name. The BDO aims to unite and professionally represent graduates who have attended a university of applied sciences or its predecessor institution for viticulture, oenology and beverage technology. The association is based at the Geisenheim Research Institute. There are currently 1,600 members, most of whom work in the private sector. About 10% of them work abroad as winemakers. Every year, an excursion is organised for members to European wine-growing regions. The BDO also participates in committees of the OIV Institute. The official BDO newsletter has been "Der Oenologe" since 1973. President of the BDO is Edmund Diesler. In July 2007, an intensive cooperation between the BDO and the internet network Wein-Plus was agreed. See also under Oenology, Viticulture Education and Wine-Event Geisenheim.