The origins of the Bordeaux wine trading house
now known as "Maison Sichel" date back to the middle of the 18th century. Since then, the widely ramified family of German origin has been dealing with wine. In 1857 the descendant Hermann Sichel (born 1791) founded the wine and spirits trading house H. Sichel und Söhne in Mainz
. This was followed in 1883 by a branch in Bordeaux
, which is now one of the most renowned wine trading houses there. Walter Sichel (1906-1989) studied the wine business in Geisenheim
, Bordeaux and Spain and founded a branch in London in 1927, becoming a British citizen in 1935.
The remaining family members were scattered all over the world. In the 1930s, the company in Mainz created the branded wine "Blue Nun" (Blue Nun - the label is adorned by blue-robed nuns). This wine stood out from the usual Liebfrauenmilch
in terms of quality and became one of the most successful wines in the world from the 1950s onwards. Today, over two million cases are exported worldwide every year, well over half of them to the USA. The wine is blended at the company headquarters in Mainz.