The winery is located in the area of Saint-Émilion (Bordeaux) directly on the border to Pomerol. The origin goes back to the middle of the 18th century. In 1832 a Monsieur Ducasse bought the estate and undertook a renovation of the vineyards. His son-in-law Jean Laussac-Fourcaud (later Fourcaud-Laussac) took over the management in 1852. He bought 15 hectares of vineyards from Château Figeac and some neighbouring estates. The current state of the estate dates back to 1871, and the red wine won medals at the World Fairs in London in 1862, Paris in 1867 and Antwerp in 1885. In 1927, the "Société Civile du Cheval-Blanc" was founded and the estate remained in family ownership until 1998. Pierre Lurton was appointed manager in 1991. In 1998 the estate was bought by the Belgian Albert Frére and Bernard Arnault, chairman of the board of the luxury goods group LVMH. The price was not published, but there is talk of at least one billion francs. In August 2009, LVMH took over a 50% stake by purchasing Arnault's shares.