The appellation, named after the commune of the same name, is located east of the small town of Libourne in the Haut-Médoc on the right bank of the Gironde in the Bordeaux region. The vineyards cover some 800 hectares of vines. To the north, the Barbanne river separates the area from the Lalande de Pomerol appellation. To the east is the Saint-Émilion area. The name comes from the Latin "pomarium" (orchard). The Romans already cultivated wine here. Due to the devastation of the Hundred Years' War (1338-1453) between the English and French, viticulture was abandoned. At the end of the 15th and in the 16th century vineyards were established again. But it was not until late in the 19th century that the Pomerol wines became famous.