The appellation, named after the town of the same name and classified in 1938, is situated to the north and is delimited by the Burgundy wine region in the so-called Basse-Bourgogne in the department of Yonne. Southwest of it lies the area of Saint-Bris, which was included before the appellation regulation. Chablis is separated from the Côte d'Or by the Morvan mountains and is much closer to Champagne than the other Burgundian areas. The Romans already cultivated vines here in the 2nd century and later the monastic orders of the church took over the cultivation. The Cistercian abbey of Pontigny, whose monks supposedly introduced Chardonnay here, was particularly active in this area. Once this was the largest wine-growing region in France, with 40,000 hectares surrounding the town of Auxerre. Sales difficulties and damage caused by phylloxera led to a conversion to other agricultural products.