The German viticulture expert Franz Otto Wolfgang Blass (*1934) studied oenology at the "Bayerische Landesanstalt für Weinbau" in Veitshöchheim (Franconia). He also holds the coveted title of Master of Wine. He then worked as a cellar master in Germany and at the English company Averys in the sparkling wine production. In 1961 he emigrated to Australia. Subsequently, he worked as a consulting sparkling wine expert for several wineries such as Kaiser Stuhl. From 1966 Blass cultivated small areas of land and began to experiment with the production and marketing of wine. The year is also considered the founding of the winery. In 1969 he bought a two-hectare site on Bilyara Road, four kilometres from Nuriootpa in the Barossa Valley. Bilyara is the Aboriginal name for the wedge-tailed eagle (Eaglehawk). As a reference to his German homeland with an eagle as his heraldic animal, he chose the eagle as his logo, which can still be found on all Wolf-Blue labels today. From 1969 to 1973 Blass Winemaker was a member of Tolley's winery.