Log in Become a Member

Papaïoannou

The Greek winery in the Nemea appellation on the island of Peloponnese was founded in 1876 by the grandfather of the current owner, Athanassios Papaïoannou. Athanassios is considered one of the best winemakers in Greece, and his son George also works in the business. Special attention is paid to the cultivation of the vines according to the terroir. The vineyards cover 55 hectares of vineyards, 80% of which are planted with the main variety Agiorgitiko, the remaining 20% with Assyrtiko, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Malagousiá, Lagorthi, Pinot Noir, Roditis and Sauvignon Blanc. Experiments are being conducted with a further 35 mostly autochthonous Greek varieties. The flagships are the OPAP Nemea red wines Palea Klimata Agiorgitiko from vines planted in the early 1970s (Palea Klimata = old vines) and Agiorgitiko from selected grapes. Also worth mentioning are the white wines Asyrtiko Playies Ai-Liá Vareli and Fumé (Chardonnay). About 350,000 bottles of wine are produced annually.

The world's largest Lexikon of wine terms.

23.145 Keywords · 48.178 Synonyms · 5.311 Translations · 28.459 Pronunciations · 156.092 Cross-references
made with by our Experts. About the Lexicon

EVENTS NEAR YOU

Cookies facilitate the provision of our services. By using our services, you agree that we use cookies.