Important wine-growing municipality with the full name "Mörbisch am See" in the Leithaberg wine-growing region of Burgenland (formerly Neusiedlersee-Hügelland, Austria). It is situated on Lake Neusiedl and very close to the border with Hungary. Like the whole of Burgenland, the village belonged to Hungary until 1920/1921. On the occasion of a border inspection by the Hungarian King Bela IV (1235-1270), the village was first mentioned in 1250 as "Possessio Megyes". The first documented mention of vineyards in Mörbisch was in 1331, but viticulture had already been practised here for many centuries before that. The vineyards cover 450 hectares of vineyards, which extend in larger terraces along the Rust hills to the reed belt of Lake Neusiedl. The vineyards facing Lake Neusiedl are considered to have the best quality soils.
The wein.plus encyclopaedia is a comprehensive, well-researched reference work. Available anytime and anywhere, it has become an indispensable part of teaching, used by students and myself alike. Highly recommended!Dominik Trick
Technischer Lehrer, staatl. geprüfter Sommelier, Hotelfachschule Heidelberg