Named after the town of the same name, this communal appellation with 364 hectares of vines is located in the Burgundy Côte d'Or (Côte de Beaune) area. Small areas in the commune of Blagny are also included. The place is also called the "capital of Burgundy white wines". In Meursault, the Cistercians received their first vineyard as a gift from the Duke of Burgundy on Christmas Day of their founding year in 1098. In Meursault, the "Paulée de Meursault" is held annually on the third day of the "Trois Glorieuses" (Three Glorious Days), which goes back to the tradition of a meal eaten together after the grape harvest (see also Hospices de Beaune and Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin).