The Institute for Vine Breeding Geilweilerhof in Siebeldingen (Palatinate-Germany) emerged from two institutions that were founded independently of each other in the 1920s. In 1924, August Ludowici (1866-1945), the last private owner of the Geilweilerhof, gave vineyard land to the Palatinate Winegrowers' Association free of charge. Two years later, the agricultural councillor Peter Morio (1887-1960) founded the "Rebenzüchtung" (vine breeding) branch of the Bavarian State Institute for Viticulture, Fruit Growing and Horticulture in Würzburg on this property. In the same year, the Kaiser Wilhems Institute for Breeding Research was founded in Müncheberg (Mark Brandenburg) by Dr Erwin Baur (1875-1933), and Dr Bernhard Husfeld (1900-1970) was put in charge of the vine breeding department. Both Peter Morio and Bernhard Husfeld subsequently worked intensively on breeding grapevine varieties that were resistant to phylloxera and the two mildew species. After the Second World War, Husfeld moved his breeding material to the Geilweilerhof. The company he founded leased the farm and established the "Research Institute for Vine Breeding". Husfeld presided over the institute until 1970, after which his long-time assistant Dr Gerhardt Alleweldt (1927-2005) took over.