The winery is located on the Simonsberg in the South African Paarl wine district. The history goes back to the year 1678, when the French Huguenot Charles Marais emigrated from the small village Le Plessis Marly to the Cape region. In 1688 Governor Simon van der Stel (1639-1712) settled Huguenots in the Bergen River Valleys (part of the Drakenstein area). Among them was the Marais family. Charles Marais named his estate after his French birthplace, in the course of time it became "Plaisir de Merle". His grandson, Pieter Marais, was the first to make a name for himself. After several changes of ownership, the estate finally became the property of Stellenbosch Farmer's Winery (SFW) in 1964. Until 1993, however, it was only a grape supplier for the Nederburg Winery, which also belongs to SFW.