The winery is located in the Paarl Winegrowing District on the eastern edge of the town of the same name, 60 km northeast of Cape Town, and is considered one of the most beautiful in South Africa. It was founded in 1791 by the German immigrant Philip Wolvaart, who named it in honour of the then English governor of Cape Town, Sebastian Cornelius Nederburgh. For many generations it remained in the possession of various private families, who constantly expanded its scope. In 1937 it was bought and revived by the emigrated German Georg Graue. He had new vineyards planted and was one of the first in South Africa to experiment with chilled, temperature-controlled fermentation. In 1956 Graue appointed the German Günter Brözel as Technical Director. There he produced the first South African botrytis wine called Edelkeur. Brözel was active for 33 years until 1989; today Lizelle Gerber is responsible.