The winery is located in the municipality of Ingelheim ( Bingen area) in the German wine-growing region of Rheinhessen. It was founded in 1881 by Josef Neus senior, who came from the Moselle and was considered a pioneer, who subsequently selected a special clone (Neus clone) of Pinot Noir that is still used today. In the late 19th century, the largest vaulted cellar in Rheinhessen was built under the estate. The oldest Fuder barrels, dating from 1893 and 1897, also date from this period and have been in continuous use ever since. The business was taken over in 2013 by the Schmitz family of entrepreneurs from Mainz. Lewis Schmitt is the farm manager and Julien Meissner is the cellar master.