The trading and champagne house based in Aÿ
in Champagne was founded in 1584 by the winemaker Pierre Gosset. At that time he produced mainly still wines. At that time, two areas fought for the favour of the royal table, namely Aÿ and Beaune in Burgundy, which was located much further south. Finally, Gosset gained the privilege of serving wines at the table of the French King Henry IV
(1553-1610). When champagne
began its triumphal march in the 18th century, the Gosset family began to produce it. The company remained in family ownership for 14 generations and celebrated its 425th anniversary in 2009. In 1994, Gosset was taken over by Cointreau, who also owned the Frapin cognac domain. The family owned company is managed by Jean Pierre Cointreau.