The Cognac House with its headquarters in the town of Cognac was founded in 1863 by Jean-Baptiste Camus under the name "La Grande Marque". He had already produced cognac before, but sold it to large houses. At the beginning of the 1890s, Camus acquired the partner shares and added his name to the company title. Since then, the company has been called "Camus La Grande Marque S.A." Since 1977, it has been managed by Jean-Paul Camus as president in the fourth generation, supported by his two sons Jean Baptiste and Cyril. The company is one of the few cognac houses to remain in private ownership. The estate comprises four wineries with a total of 100 hectares of vineyards, two in the Grande Champagne and one in Bordieres. Each of the estates has its own distillery. In addition, wines are distilled and matured by contracted winemakers under the strict supervision of Camus. The total storage capacity results in a volume of 30 million bottles.
The product range includes Cognacs of the Napoleon, XO and Extra classes as well as the particularly old and valuable top products "Tradition", the "Jubilee" and "Gold Marquise" created on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the company. Some of these are filled in original porcelain bottle shapes, such as one in book form, the "Lovers Rings" bottle (entwined rings) and the golf bottle. The creation "Josephine" is a cognac especially developed for women. Camus is the number one in the worldwide duty-free business, with products being offered on board by over 50 airlines. Five million bottles are sold annually, 90% of which are exported to 120 countries. Other brands of spirits are distributed independently by the subsidiary C.G.E.V.F. This group includes other cognac brands and the Armagnac house Armadis with among others the brand Chabot.