single vineyard in the municipality of Erden (Bernkastel area) in the German Moselle
wine-growing region. The name was given at the end of the 19th century by the Berres family, the owners at the time, to demarcate the parcel of land that originally belonged to the Treppchen
vineyard. Incidentally, the name was given in honour of the famous Ürziger citizen and winegrower's son, Prelate Professor Dr. Franz Steffens (1853-1930), who achieved world fame in the field of manuscript studies in 1903 with his work "Latin Palaeography". The south-facing vineyard at an altitude of 110 to 220 metres above sea level with a slope of 55 to 65% covers only 1.5 hectares of vineyards on red-coloured, stony clay-slate weathered soil. The site is framed by rocks. Only the Riesling variety is cultivated here. The vineyards of Dr. F. Weins-Prüm
, Dr. Loosen
, Dr. Pauly-Bergweiler
, Jos. Christoffel jr
, Mönchhof Robert Eymael
, for example, have shares in the site.