The winery is located in the municipality of Margaux in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. Its origins date back to a property called "La Mothe de Margaux" owned by the Albret family in the 12th century. After several changes of ownership, the Lestonnac family gave the estate its current extension of 260 hectares of land with gardens and magnificent plane tree avenues. In 1802, Bertrand Douat Marquis de La Colonilla (1742-1816) bought the estate and demolished the old Gothic manor house to build the château. In 1977 the naturalised Greek André Mentzelopoulos bought the estate from the previous owner Pierre Ginestet for 72 million francs (9.15 million euros). The new owner invested at least the same amount again in a new underground cellar, as well as vineyards, gardens, buildings and facilities.