The winery is located in the municipality of Margaux
in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. The origin is in a property of the notary family Escoussès in the 16th century. In 1697 it was acquired by Simon Malescot, who gave it the first part of its present name. In 1827, the family sold the estate to the Marquis Jean-Baptiste de Saint-Exupéry (the great-grandfather of the writer Antoine de Saint-Exupéry), who merged it with the "Loyac" estate and added the second part of the name to the name of the estate. When Château Dubignon
was abandoned, part of these vineyards were added to the estate. Five owners were ruined between 1880 and 1955 by disasters such as phylloxera
as well as two world wars. Only seven hectares of vineyards remained of the totally run-down estate.