The Cooperative Winery (which only in South Tyrol is called Kellerei Kaltern) is located in the municipality of Kaltern (Caldaro) in the Italian wine-growing area of South Tyrol (Trentino-South Tyrol region). It resulted from the merger of the original four Kalterer Winery cooperatives. Already in 1986 the Erste Kellerei and Neue Kellerei (founded in 1900 and 1925 respectively) merged to form Erste+Neue. In 1992 the Bauernkellerei merged with the Jubiläumskellerei (founded in 1906 and 1908 respectively) to form the Cantina Kaltern. The last step towards the joint winery was taken in 2016. In the 1980s, rigorous measures were taken to improve quality, including a reduction in yield to an average of 75 hl/ha. Today, around 800 members cultivate a total of 480 hectares of vineyards in almost all locations around Lake Kaltern.