The old baroque city on the river Main is the capital of the Bavarian administrative district of Lower Franconia and the centre of viticulture in the German Franconian wine growing region. In the middle of the 8th century it became a bishop's see and a little later a royal palace. Already in 1402 the first university was founded. In the course of the centuries, a true architectural monument with the Old Town Hall, Marienbrücke bridge and Marienberg fortress (in the foreground), bishop's residence and universities were built. During the Second World War, the city and its monuments were almost completely destroyed in a single night of bombing, but were rebuilt in their old glory after the war.