The winery is located south of Pomerol
in the area of the same name (Bordeaux). It was founded as early as the 16th century and has been known by its present name since 1745. In the period 1770 to 1875 it belonged to the Demay family, at that time the wine was at the top of Pomerol in terms of quality and was the most expensive in the area. The next owner was called Charles de Bousquet. In 1924, it was acquired by the Belgian Georges Thienpont. From 1943 to 1985 it was run by Léon Thienpont, today his son Alexandre is in charge. The family also owns the neighbouring famous Château Le Pin.
The vineyards cover 14 hectares and are planted with Merlot (60%), Cabernet Franc (30%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (10%). The extremely long-lived red wine matures for 18 to 22 months in 100% new barriques. It is bottled without filtration
. In terms of quality, it is often equated with the neighbouring Château Pétrus
, but with less Merlot and more Cabernet, it has a completely different, Médoc-like style. The second wine is called "La Gravette de Certan".