The wine trading company with its current headquarters in the town of Ribeauvillé is located in the French wine growing region of Alsace
(Haut-Rhin). It has a history of almost four hundred years, because already in 1626 Jean Trimbach founded a wine trade in Riquewihr. In 1673, King Louis XVI (1754-1793) visited the house. Under the leadership of Jean-Frédéric Trimbach (born 1811) the business was expanded. He moved the company's headquarters to Hunawihr, where he was mayor for many years. The parent company in Riquewihr was sold to the archrival Hugel et Fils
, who still owns it today.
His son Frédéric-Emile travelled the world to promote exports. High awards at the World Exhibition in Brussels in 1898 increased the reputation of the company. Frédéric-Emile began to bottle the wines, instead of selling them in large containers as was previously the case. Under his son Frédéric-Théodore, the Trimbach company headquarters was moved to Ribeauvillé after the First World War. He was instrumental in replacing the hybrids
, which were widespread in Alsace at the time, with noble varieties. Today, the house, which is still family-owned, is managed by Hubert and his brother Bernard, together with Bernard's sons, Pierre and Jean in the 11th and 12th generation, and Anne (Pierre's daughter) in the 13th generation.