The regional appellation in the eastern part of the middle Loire is named after the town and bishop's see of Tours. It adjoins Anjou-Saumur in the east of the region. Both the town and the wine growing go back to Roman times. Legend has it that pruning was invented here in the 4th century, when the donkey of the later canonised Martin of Tours ate young vine shoots. The name is derived from the Gallic tribe of the Turonians. The area was early called the Garden of France and was the favourite residence of the French kings during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. Its numerous castles are well known, such as Amboise, Azay-le-Rideau, Chenonceau, Chinon, Loches and Villandry. In the Château Clos Lucé (belongs to the complex of the Château Amboise) lived Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519) for three years until his death.