The winery is located in the municipality of Nierstein (Nierstein area) in the German wine-growing region of Rheinhessen. It was founded in 1920, but it was not until 1985 that it was given its present name after an old ironworks belonging to the former owner MAN. MAN sold the winery to the entrepreneur Detlev Meyer in 2005. The estate also includes the Heyl zu Herrnsheim vineyard. Both wineries moved into the renovated buildings of the former Gustav Adolf Schmitt winery at the end of 2006. Must and wine are now only moved there by gravity. Highlights are the fermentation cellar with the most gentle technology and the new vinotheque. Initially, the two wineries remained separate in terms of production, but in 2008 it was decided to merge the two. Heyl zu Herrnsheim, however, remains as a wine line. The winery is run by Dirk Würtz (managing partner). Sebastian Strub is responsible as cellar master.