The winery is located in the municipality of Burg Layen-Rümmelsheim in the German wine-growing region of Nahe. The origins of "Burg Leyen" date back to the end of the 13th century. It was built on a rocky ridge in the Trollbach valley on the lower reaches of the Nahe just before it flows into the Rhine. Three castle estates of various noble owners were built on the site, with extensive land and vineyard holdings in the surrounding area. The present castle estate was acquired by Johann Peter Diel (1750-1811) from Heribert Wolfgang Freiherr von Dalberg in 1802 during the occupation of the Nahe region by Napoleon Bonaparte's (1769-1821) troops, after the Diel family had already leased it for decades. Today, the winery is run by Armin Diel and his daughter Caroline, with Christoph J. Friedrich as cellar master.