The single vineyard is located in the south-western part of the Bingen Rochusberg. It is bordered to the west by the Nahe River, to the north by the Schlossberg-Schwätzerchen and Rosengarten vineyards, and to the east by the Bubenstück vineyard. The first documented reference to "Scarlachen" dates back to 1248, when the Eberbach Monastery acquired the site in a barter deal. In 1848, Scharlachberg was one of the highest classified vineyards in Germany. The winegrowing pioneer Johann Philipp Bronner (1792-1864) wrote in superlatives about the wine there in his book "Weinbau in der Provinz Rheinhessen, im Nahethal und Moselthal", published in 1834. Part of the Scharlachberg became a nature reserve after land consolidation. In 1898, the cognac distillery Scharlachberg GmbH was founded in Bingen to profit from the name.