The winery is located in Stein in the west of Krems
in the Lower Austrian wine-growing region Kremstal
has an old tradition. The ancestors of the Salomon family were Danube boatmen in the salt trade as their main occupation and traded wine on the side. In 1792, after secularisation under Emperor Joseph II (1741-1790), the family acquired the abandoned Capuchin monastery "Claustrum ad undam" (Kloster Und) and the associated farm. Until 1977, the now independent Salomon Fritz
Winery (Oberstockstall-Wagram) was a dependency. From 1927 onwards, Fritz Salomon (1905-1971) was one of the first bottlers in Austria and is considered a pioneer of natural, dry vinification, even against the trend of the time. Salomon wines were already exported to America in 1935. In 1987, the monastery, which was newly renovated by his son Erich Salomon (+2007), was opened with a wine museum, event rooms and one of the first regional vinotheques. He was mainly responsible for the vineyards.